Last Updated: September 4, 2013
1. At SmarterCookie, we take your privacy seriously.
2. Information We Collect
In General. We may collect personal information that can identify you, such as your name and email address, and other information that does not identify you. When you provide personal information through our Site and/or Services, the information will be sent to servers located in the United States.
- Information you provide. We may collect and store any personal information you enter on our Site, provide through our Services or provide to us in some other manner, including personal information that may be contained in any video, comment or other submission you upload or post to the Site or through our Services. This includes identifying information, such as your name and email address; your likeness; and, if you transact business with us, financial information such as your payment method (valid credit card number, type, expiration date or other financial information). We also may request information about your gender, your place of employment, and details about your position.
- Information about others. We may also collect and store personal information about other people that you provide to us. If you use our Site or Services to upload, share and/or distribute content (including videos, comments or other submissions), and such content contains personal information about others, such information may be stored in order to allow for such uploading, sharing and/or distribution. As a requirement to use our Site and Services you acknowledge that you have the appropriate consent(s) from any individual (or the parent of any child under the age of 13) to share their personal information with us.
- Information collected automatically. We receive and store certain types of information whenever you visit our Site or use our Services. We automatically receive and record information on our server logs from your browser, including your IP address, your browser type and language, access times, SmarterCookie cookie information (see the section titled “Cookies” below), geolocation data, the referring website address, and the page you requested. We also record the details of your activity on the Site.
- Cookies. When you visit our Site or use our Service, we may assign your computer or device one or more cookie, to facilitate access to our Site or Service and to personalize your online experience. Through the use of a cookie, we also may automatically collect information about your online activity, such as the web pages you visit, the links you click, and the searches you conduct on our Site or through our Service. Most browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies. If you choose to decline cookies, please note that you may not be able to sign in or use some of the interactive features offered through our Site or Service.
3. How We Use Information We Collect
In General. We may use information that we collect about you to:
- deliver the products and services that you have requested;
- manage your account and provide you with customer support;
- perform research and analysis about your use of our services or content;
- communicate with you by e-mail;
- enforce our terms and conditions;
- manage our business; and
- perform functions as otherwise described to you at the time of collection.
Financial information. We may use financial information or payment method to process payment for any sales made on our Site or through our Service, to protect against or identify possible fraudulent transactions, and otherwise as needed to manage our business.
4. With Whom We Share Your Information
We want you to understand when and with whom we may share personal or other information we have collected about you or your activities on our Site or while using our Services.
Personal information. We do not share your personal information with others except as indicated below or when we inform you and give you an opportunity to opt out of having your personal information shared. We may share personal information with:
- Content provided as part of our Service. As part of our Services we share personal information that you provide in the form of videos that contain your likeness, your name, and your email address with third parties. These third parties, who may be designated by you or are other users of our Site and Services, may access your videos and other personal information that you provide to review, critique and offer feedback to you.
- Authorized service providers. We may share your personal information with our authorized service providers that perform certain services on our behalf. These services may include processing credit card payments, providing customer service and marketing assistance, performing business and sales analysis, or supporting our Site or Service functionality. These service providers may have access to personal information needed to perform their functions but are not permitted to share or use such information for any other purposes.
- Other Situations. We also may disclose your information:
- In response to a subpoena or similar investigative demand, a court order, or a request for cooperation from a law enforcement or other government agency; to establish or exercise our legal rights; to defend against legal claims; or as otherwise required by law. In such cases, we may raise or waive any legal objection or right available to us, in our sole discretion.
- In connection with a substantial corporate transaction, such as the sale of our business, a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, or in the unlikely event of bankruptcy.
Aggregated and non-personal information. We may share aggregated and non-personal information we collect under any of the above circumstances. We may combine non-personal information we collect with additional non-personal information collected from other sources. We also may share aggregated information with third parties, including advisors and investors, for the purpose of conducting general business analysis. This information does not contain any personal information and may be used to develop website content and services that we hope you and other users will find of interest.
5. Third-Party Websites
6. How You Can Access Information We have Collected About You
If you have an online account with us, you have the ability to review and update your personal information online by logging into your account. You can also review and update your personal information by contacting us. More information about how to contact us is provided below in Section 13 (How to Contact Us).
7. Your Choices about Collection and Use of Your Information
You can choose not to provide us with certain information, but that may result in you being unable to use certain features of our Site or Service because such information may be required in order for you to register as a member, purchase services, ask a question, or initiate other transactions.
When you register on our Site or to use our Services, you will receive email messages and/or newsletters about product updates, improvements, special offers, or containing special distributions of content by us. You also will be given the opportunity, in any commercial e-mail that we send to you, to opt out of receiving such messages in the future. We may send you other types of transactional and relationship e-mail communications, such as service announcements, administrative notices, and surveys, without offering you the opportunity to opt out of receiving them.
8. How We Protect Your Personal Information
We take appropriate security measures (including physical, electronic and procedural measures) to help safeguard your personal information from unauthorized access and disclosure. In addition, we use encryption in the transmission of your sensitive personal information between your system and ours.
We want you to feel confident using our Site and Services to transact business. However, no system can be completely secure. Therefore, although we take steps to secure your information, we do not promise, and you should not expect, that your personal information, searches, or other communications will always remain secure. Users should also take care with how they handle and disclose their personal information and should avoid sending personal information through insecure email. Please refer to the Federal Trade Commission’s website for information about how to protect yourself against identity theft.
9. Children’s Privacy
Our Site’s and Service’s audience is intended to be adults involved in education and other related professionals. If you are not 13 years or older, do not use the Site or Services. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under the age of 13. If we learn that personally identifiable information of persons less than 13-years-of-age has been collected from a minor through our Service, we will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under the age of 13 has posted, submitted or otherwise communicated personal information to our Service without your consent, then you may alert us at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we may take appropriate action to remove the child’s personally identifiable information from our systems. It is your responsibility as a user to receive written permission from parents of students to post videos with the names and/or likeness of children in videos.
10. Visiting Our Website From Outside the United States
11. No Rights of Third Parties
13. How to Contact Us
110 Capp Street
San Francisco, CA 94110